Picnic

Picnic

Saturday, January 19, 2013

March 22, 1942 - "You are a Very Game Girl..."

I should probably be preparing for my return to school, but I couldn’t fight the urge to upload just one short letter.  This one, like the one before it, is sent between Eagle Butte, where Jim was working, and Faith, where Ruth was teaching.  Based on the contents of this letter, Ruth had just been to visit Jim, and had a good time – despite a sprained ankle.  

Note:  I haven't figured out the scanner in my apartment yet.  I'll add actual letters when I do! 

Eagle Butte, So. Dak
Sun. March 22, 1942
10:50 P.M.

Dearest Ruthie,

Art Castle is playing “Give me one dozen Roses” – it reminds me very much of you.  – I got back to the “Dump” at 7:30 – no casualties, - good car, I’m beginning to believe.

I ate a sandwich when I got back, then found Gene, he had enuf in a pint to mix two cokes, so we went down to the restaurant, and drank them and talked about you for about an hour.  – then rode around in his car and listened to the radio.  they played a new piece, "I said a prayer last night" – anyway I recalled, saying one for you last night – or this morning rather when I went to bed, I believed it was answered cuz when Phil & I came down to Fisher’s you were doing O.K with the sprained ankle.

Ruthie, I really enjoyed myself this week-end – no kidding – Sheep Camp, Dance and everything were swell – especially you.  I just can’t get over how darn nice you are.  – I told Gene about the accident last night and even he agreed you are a very game girl.

We, Gene & I, were about ready to come home about 9 o’ clock, when Shannon O’Neill (sounds Irish doesn’t it?), another Irish friend of ours, asked us if we wanted to ride around with him for awhile, so we did, it was really nice out.  We all cussed the misfortune of being stuck in Eagle Butte – alone – when we could just as well be in Faith, – – with someone I love very much.

I just read this over and am wondering if you will be able to understand it.  I’m so darn tired – I’m kinda writing like I talk sometimes – in circles.

Gene asked me if I was writing to you already and I said “yes” – so he said to ask you when he could have a date so – “when can Gene have a date, huh?”

I intended to write this tomorrow noon, but found out tonight that I have to go out with Sandstrom and Warne to look over a gravel pit, so better I do do’od it to-nite – no?

I’m sleepy – Good-nite – I Love you very much, say hello to Phyl. & Beverly, write real soon,
                                    Jim

P.S. I Love you more than you love me, so there too!

As I read these letters, I have been realizing how young my grandparents were at this stage – possibly younger than me, even.  It makes me wonder how they two would have communicated if they were in their twenties today.  We romanticize letter-writing (and, to be fair, it is pretty romantic) but that was also one of the only communication forms available to them.  Based on the frequency of these exchanges I have a sneaking suspicion that a young Jim and Ruth would not have balked at the use of social media. 

People of their generation might have been less interested in sharing their every move and thought with an immense audience, but I feel like they would have appreciated sending each other lovey late-night texts, Skyping on an evening apart, or even (gasp!) sending each other Instagrammed photos of their dinner at the local bar.  As a gal who is currently far away from her fellow, I can understand the desire to share even the most mundane details of my day, in an attempt to feel closer.

Here’s to modern technology!

No comments:

Post a Comment